Tuesday, 18 August 2009

New beginnings

Alright, here goes...

I'm starting this blog on the eve of a new adventure for me - probably it wouldn't be over-dramatic to say a new chapter in my life - as Karen and I swap Britain (my home of 27 years, and our joint home for the last five) for new shores, the shores of the new world, no less.

I hope to share with you my impressions and growing fascination for what I suspect is a much misunderstood country. The title is a tribute to Alistair Cooke's long-running radio feature of the same name (link), and while I am doubtful I'll manage to achieve his level of insight, hopefully I can convey something to you of the world I find myself in over there.

Of course, this is not the first time I have lived abroad, but never before have I trully packed my whole life, everything that's come before, into a box with no definite intent to return. It's a feeling which is at once daunting and exciting.

Added to this are pressing concerns about finding some kind of gainful employment. So far this is still up in the air, as are so many things. Where will we live? Who will our friends be? What will it be like over there? Will I be happy in my adoptive home?

I'll be trying to answer these and other questions in the weeks, months and years that follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment