Monday, 21 September 2009

Ghost Town

Hey again everyone,

Well, it's Monday night already - I've been here for a week now, unbelievably, and I'm starting to see a few of the USA's downsides. Every society has them, I suppose. We just all learn to tune them out - nothing's perfect, right?!

Crystal City, the area of Arlington where we're currently staying, consists mostly of large hotels - sited here because of the proximity to Reagan airport - and large glass/concrete office buildings. This is all underpinned by a sprawling subterranean shopping mall called the Crystal City Shops. This means you can basically cross the area without even walking at street level.

From 9 to 5, this is nice - tens of thousands of people throng through the system, frequenting its various restaurants and stores. However, after hours and at weekends, due to the low number of people who actually live in Crystal City (hurray for urban planning!), the place becomes a virtual ghost town.

Tonight, for example, I stepped out to go get some Mexican takeaway ('take-out'/fast food ;-) at a well-known chain called Chipotle. To reach it, I instinctively made for the tunnel system, which starts just across the road in the Marriott. After all, this is the most direct route in a country which is by and large not designed with pedestrians in mind.

Without wanting to sound too dramatic or sissy, I have to say that the experience - alone and still unsure of my directions - was rather eerie and claustrophobic.

I was glad to arrive at my destination. Better access to Mexican food - especially given my family connections - is one of my favourite things about living in the US! It's exciting to be presented with a whole array of options where you don't have a clue what they are! I just hope I didn't sound too stupid ordering them in my Lincolnshire accent :-)

On the way back, I opted to stay on the surface. Crystal City is mostly not too bad for traffic, because that tends to ebb away as well outside 9 to 5. The only obstacle in my way was Route 1, a six lane highway which I had glibly strolled under only fifteen minutes before.

Crossing the road in America is one situation where you understand just how much more this nation leans towards the automobile. For starters, I'm still not sure which way to look at any given moment to avoid being pancaked (!), which doesn't help. The main frustration though is how long you have to wait for the white (not green here...) man. I swear I was there three minutes!!

So anyway, I'm back home and have gorged myself on my lovely burrito - I tell you, you can keep your tea and scones!

Mark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Blasphemy against tea and scones!

Post a Comment