Thursday, 24 September 2009

In t' pub

Just thought I'd write another quick update. The subject is of earth-shattering importance, after all :-)

Last night we went out for a drink in one of those 'bars' they have over here (whatever that is :-p), but instead came upon, wait for it, an Irish pub. I should've suspected it of course. You'd probably find an Irish pub in the seventh circle of hell!

Anyway, since I'm so far from home and any whiff of 'normal' drinking establishments, this was actually quite a find. Turns out it's also a sports bar, so I can catch up on some of the unusual things they do for entertainment over here as well! However, the main event was the surprising breadth of familiar British & European tipples on display, topped off by Hefeweizen (ahhhh!). Throw in some beautifully greasy, fried and cheesy American food (you know you love it :-) and I was utterly content!

Oh, and for my ex-colleagues reading, I'm still noticing the German influence - people here commonly talk about "brats & franks" (Bratwürste and Frankfurter) rather than hot dogs, and "schmier" for cream cheese. This all, of course, originated from the Yiddish-speaking (Jewish) immigrants.

Right, I'm off to bed. Laters

No comments:

Post a Comment