Tuesday, 15 September 2009

The last post

I sit here in the departure lounge in Heathrow's Terminal 1 - under a familiar grey, monotone sky - on the brink of a new adventure. After the hectic time we had watching other people pack our possessions on Friday, the weekend has more than made up for it!

Saturday consisted mostly of helping people carry furniture they had bought from us down two flights of stairs. I realise we're very lucky to have sold all of it - for which we owe lots of people at ChristChurch our thanks - but it was certainly hard work! I think I'm a bit more in need of a trip to the gym than I thought!

We also were lucky enough to see Mum and Dad one last time, and I'm not sure we could have finalised everything without their ever-generous help.

It wasn't all work though - we also had some sad farewells to our church small group, and the 20s&30s crowd. It's been nice to reflect a little these last few weeks on all the people we've met and the experiences we've shared over the last three years.

And so, back to reality - from mid-morning today the clouds and rain were out in force, reminding me of one side of the UK I won't be missing! Still, the trip to the airport was smooth, and I managed to get an exit seat on the plane with tons of legroom.

As we climbed up into the sky over Heathrow, I had a few brief seconds to gaze down nostalgically and with a little trepidation on my home. Then all faded to grey...

No comments:

Post a Comment