Well, today's Friday, and this is my fourth full day in Albuquerque. Not all that much of interest to report so far. I've spent most of the time so far jobhunting online and applying for various positions.
Still, the one thing that has struck me again after my four-year absence from this place is the barren majesty of its landscape, particularly the Sandia Mountains. Many of you may think of a desert as being a harsh, hideous and inhospitable place. My experience of New Mexico, however, is quite the opposite. It is a place of warm, beautiful colours - the cobalt blue of the perfect sky, the adobe red colour shared by the native architecture and the earth, and the green of the scrub vegetation.
Yesterday evening we (Karen, her Mom & me) were joined by Mum, Dad & Peter, who arrived from home after a long and arduous flight. This is now where the activity begins. Tomorrow morning at 6am we will be out the door on our way to the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta. After seven years of anticipation, I have to admit, I'm really looking forward to it - despite the early start, which I've never been a fan of ;-)
Anyway, duty calls! We're about to go out for some lovely authentic New Mexican food - bring on the red AND green chile :-)
Hope everyone is well. I'd love to hear from you!
Mark
No comments:
Post a Comment