Summer in Virginia is a very sunny and consistent experience, for a good 3-4 months, by all accounts (I’ve yet to live through an entire one), with highs in the upper 20s and beyond and lows not a whole lot lower. This is punctuated every week or less by a hyper-intense rainstorm, the like of which I’ve only ever seen in England a couple of times, with amazing thunder and lightning displays.
You definitely don’t want to be caught under one of these things, though I’ve taken to standing out on our new balcony admiring these spectacles while still under cover.
The downside to this good weather, seen all over the USA, is the potential for extremes. Thankfully this area doesn’t suffer from hurricanes or tornadoes – our particular evil is the humidity, which is often enough to make a pasty Englishman wilt after 20 paces!
I used to think the American penchant for air conditioning was very extravagant and excessive, but when it comes to a climate like this, then you certainly begin to understand. It’s even worse if you have no car and have to walk to get anywhere!
Wherever you are, I hope you enjoy your summer.
All the best,
Mark
No comments:
Post a Comment