A couple weeks later, the results of the UNM blood test came back. And they were good! Apparently there were some cells remaining, but they weren’t multiplying. That’s why the chemo wasn’t working. Chemo is designed to attack cells that grow quickly. The condition is called Quiescent Gestational Trophoblastic Disease. It’s unknown how common it is because it usually goes away on its own within 6 months, and if the person has no reason to get their HCG tested during that time, nobody would ever know. As long as these cells do not start reproducing quickly, they are considered safe, and therefore there is no longer any need to wait for my HCG levels to return to zero. My doctor decided that since September was when my hormone levels dropped really low, that would be when she would start the 6-month wait before clearing us to start trying again. So by the time we found that out it was already halfway over!
I had another blood test that day, and the result was 5! I have to have them monthly for the next 3 months, and provided they stay low, we will be officially cleared in March.
Something else really nice happened as I got my results from UNM. Someone in the doctor’s office contacted me to ask how I wanted her to send the receipt for the tests. I jokingly asked if she could send it with some yummy New Mexico green chile enclosed. She said sure and asked if I wanted mild, medium or hot. So I got my documents, together with 3 lbs of hot green chile! I was amazed by her kindness, and that chile went into some super-yummy burritos :-)!
I must say that over the last two months I have been feeling much better than previously. Seeing the way God took care of me, along with the support from my friends and family, kindness from complete strangers, and especially the love and support from Mark, made all the difference. I will try to remember the lessons I’ve learned throughout this whole experience, and will appreciate even more what a miracle it is each time a baby is born healthy. Even though what would have been my due date is less than a week away, and I know it will be a time of sadness, I am sure I will be able to handle it much better than I could have only a few months ago. As this difficult year is coming to a close, I am looking to 2011 with hope and peace, and pray that it will bring happier things than the year we are leaving behind.
1 comment:
Good to know that you are OK. Hope this coming year will be a really good one for you both.
With love from Rachel and the Woking housegroup.
Post a Comment